Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Day in Vempalli

Today was a special one for our group. We made the 50 km bumpy, crazy, wild ride to Vempalli to teach our lessons. Until today, all of our VBS lessons have been taught in the afternoons because the children attend school, but today was some sort of holiday in many of the schools. We never found out the actual holiday, but convinced ourselves that they were just celebrating US Independence Day (which they almost certainly were not). We were able to teach 35 children in the morning which gave us the opportunity to spend some time playing and interacting with them after lunch while Pastor O was teaching the other pastors.

Although there is a definite language barrier, we had loads of fun asking them their names and helping them play with the puzzle crafts that we brought for them.

I like to have the children write their names in my notebook. It allows me to put a name to some of the pictures that I take and helps with the Indian pronunciations that are usually difficult to understand for an untrained ear.

As my notebook was being passed around this afternoon I was taking pictures with some of the children. After some time I looked down to see a little girl that I had come to know as Janhavi writing in my notebook. I looked more closely at her writings and found that she was practicing her English alphabet (lower case letters first and then upper case). It was a fun moment for me as I helped her recite her alphabet while she practiced.

Our main focus is to spread the truth of God's Word, but it is always encouraging to spend some time connecting with them. We all feel very blessed for the extra time we were able to spend with the children today.

Happy Independence Day to America.
As always, your prayers are very much appreciated.
Lucas

No comments: