Saturday, July 6, 2013

Group 2 - Melanie

Hello from Melanie!!!

Thanks for tuning in to hear about what we've been up to. I've just been in a daze, honestly, finding myself engrossed in this culture and the people who make it!

The past couple days have been astounding. We have had the opportunity to teach smaller groups of children with more emphasis on quality. We've all been incorporating more interaction and questions into our lessons. I usually teach "Jesus Loves Me" and PTO often teaches "Here's the Cross" for the easy lyrics and simple hand signals. And although we've listened to PTO's lessons about 6 times now sitting in on the Pastors Conferences, I find some new spiritually strengthening addition to each one. (As a side note: We are so blessed to have him leading our group-- His experience in foreign countries makes it easier on us [from simply crossing the street to bartering with locals], his love for good conversation is sure
to keep us entertained on long days of transporting, and BEST OF ALL His passion for God's teaching is wonderfully infectious.) The children have been so excited to meet us and touch our skin; it seems a common observation among other groups as well :) The last few days we were able to converse with the children and their families more than usual, and what a delight!! We learn all their names and practice our Telugu, learn about their families and meet their siblings, and of course get plenty of "snaps." Recently we were each gifted some articles of clothing. PTO and Luke got lungis (sp?) and polo t-shirts while Katherine and I got ponjabis! We wore them to teach in and didn't get any funny looks, so I'm assuming that means we finally fit in! They are a gorgeous pattern and we were so honored to receive such a well thought-out present from Victor and his wife Chandramma!

One of my favorite things is always the food when it's prepared by people we know! Some cautious travelers would say the "village food" is often less sanitary and more likely to give you unpleasant side effects later versus restaurant quality. BUT when we are served by the Pastor's wife and children of a church we are teaching in, I am much more likely to take MORE rice and sambar, and clean my plate all the way. It thrills them to see that you value their hard work in preparing for your arrival! Plus, I just can't get enough of authentic Indian food!!! It's almost embarrassing!

This is our last night in the hotel we've been staying at for about a week, and I'm really surprised to see how quickly this trip is wrapping up. I had been looking forward to coming to India for such a long time, and here it is, almost over!! Final reflections lead me to conclude: Traveling is wonderful. God is perfect. And TRAVELING WITH THE WORD is the biggest blessing I've ever been given. I could never feel more fulfilled. God is good to give us each such an opportunity as this. I know each mission trip will include different people -- I will continue to support it the Mission Fund because this is an opportunity I want every young person to be given to experience! I thank you for your diligence and your prayers-- they never go unnoticed.

~~Melanie Hallstein



No comments: