Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 4

India Time: 10:37 PM (June 28, 2013)
CST: 12:06 PM (June 28, 2013)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!  :-)

Today was so much fun!  We met up with some of the area pastors and headed to the Kothapatnam Beach!  This time, we were actually able to go in the water!  The waves were crashing hard, and the undertow was still pretty strong (part of why we couldn't go in the water in Chennai).  Pastor Joythi kept calling us back in because we'd get a little too brave.  While we were out there some of the pastors taught us a game.  We would stand in a circle with our hands joined above our heads.  On the count of three, we'd swing our arms down and put our hands together either palm up or palm down.  The group that had the fewest people (palm up or palm down) was out (being out was a good thing)!  In turn Brother Nathan and I taught a few of the pastors how to play rock-paper-scissors.

The drives are so entertaining.  As we drove through one of the villages, two boys' jaws dropped and you could see the "WHOA!" on their faces as Brother Nathan waved.  Pastor Joythi said that they had probably never seen white people before (let alone ones that waved).  I've never been "royalty" in a parade before, but I'm guessing driving in India feels pretty similar.  Except here, you never get tired of waving and smiling because everyone always looks so surprised and excited to see you.  They've even put flowers on our car, which Brother David explained is a sign for a dignitary.

I'm amazed by how at home I feel.  The bugs are different, horns are substituted for seat belts, and it smells a little funny, but everyone with whom we have regular contact has made us so welcomed.  They call us "brother" and "sister" and it's so much stronger a bond than friendship.  We've only known each other for three days at most, but there is a familiarity there that I can't describe.

Our afternoon consisted of a search for internet, a little exploring, and after the venture deciding the hotel was the safest place to eat.  :-)

Tonight marked our short drive to the Mallavaram village where some boys were eagerly waiting to greet us with chairs and sprites.  I feel like we sit a lot, but we sweat a lot, so it probably all balances out.  ;-)  While we were waiting for the service to start, we showed the children pictures of where we have already been, taught them how to high five, and taught them how to fist bump (yes, with the explosion)!  The children were very eager tonight--I think we had close to 75 there.  Not only did they clap when we learned the Rise and Shine song, but they played the tambourine and drum.  (In particular, Pastor Simon's son was incredibly enthusiastic and willing to help get the other children involved).  Our lessons went well, as did Brother David's preaching.  After the service, our new experience was to pray for the individual attendees.  I felt embarrassingly out of practice at praying out loud through improv.  Pastor Joythi told us to pray for the children's education, and that was where I got to start.  I feel like I stood there for a long time with my hand on this little girl's head taking a deep breath before I could make words come out of my mouth.  We prayed for everything from children's education, to stomach problems, to family problems, for strength, for employment, for spouses, the list is endless, but they all only as for one thing and it's usually for someone else.

After the prayers, we taught some of the younger girls how to blow kisses and even got a few of the boys to blow kisses.  Two of the girls came up to me and put rings on each of my pinkies.  I tried to tell them that they didn't need to give me anything, but they were already grabbing my hands, so excited to have me take something.  In case India hasn't stolen my heart all ready, it took it tonight.  We also sang Father Abraham for the kids and they thought it was really funny when Brother Nathan and I started turning around.  The children were begging us to come to their homes and to stay, and I wish we could've.  It's hard to say goodbye at the end of the prayers when goodbye may mean forever.  To have even one more day.  To have a week at every church to conduct a VBS like we have in the states.  Pray that God send workers into the harvest, the fields are ripe!  Please pray that our enthusiasm stays high and we can keep up the energy we've had the first two nights.  Pray for the children we see and pray that God blesses the words we say.

--
Becky Haddad

1 comment:

Beth Kranz said...

Am loving all your reports! Our prayers are indeed being sent to our Lord, on your behalf. Thank you for doing this work on our behalf.