Friday, June 28, 2013

MELANIE's blog post 6/28/13

Hi guys! I'm thrilled to finally talk a bit about my experiences here in
India. After our transportation and everything, our wonderful Pastor ( and
guide to Central India) Moses gave us a day to rest. We found ourselves
exploring the beautiful city, buying fresh fruit from vendors, and
indulging in local flavors.

Throughout the trip we have already seen much of India, and my backpack
just.. has a lovely new aroma to it. PTO (PASTOR TODD OHLMANN - much easier this way) just asked if I wanted to have laundry done tonight and I
laughed-- nothing will smell clean again!! The streets remind me of the
trip to Nepal and the amount of time we spent in Kathmandu, our clothes
heavy with the scent of exhaust and sweat! But I'm not complaining, India
is fascinating! We have gotten our groove down with teaching and I'm already feeling more confident teaching songs and interacting with the kids again. It's absolutely wonderful to be surrounded by such a similar love for Christ and passion for the Truth-- even on the other side of the world!!!

On the other hand, today we went to a temple on a hill and saw many, many people worshiping. It is a highly successful temple, in the sense of earning its keep. Even just to see it we had to blaze through 1 hour's worth of gas roundtrip, pay 30 rupees per vehicle, and "check" our Chappals (sandals) for 30 rupees because all the ground is sacred around the temple. It is a very popular temple among Hindus and not a very common tourist destination. People approached us and touched us and wanted pictures with us because we were white. At one point, a group of lovely volunteer ladies were sooooo excited to see us and surrounded us until one of them could get up the nerve to ask for a picture. Moses bought us "ladou" - an original to this temple sweet (cashews, ghee, sugar cane, some sort of flour, mixed chopped nuts with fragrant spices) and it was an aquired taste! People here love it and buy like 5 bags each! I had about 1/4 of a piece and I was done in. Moses said the people here treat it as a blessed food, because it is sold by the temple.

Well, thank you for all your prayers and support! I ran out of room and promise to write again soon :) Um, I still have to talk about INDIAN FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: